Monday, March 15, 2010

Homemade Sugar Cookies

Anytime I can bake something from scratch I do. I think making something at home tastes so much better and saves you a ton.
The best part about doing this is the reward of seeing someone eat your food and love it. Great memories.
I called my mom up and asked her to send me over a recipe from one of her old recipe books. I find these to be so much better then the fancy new recipes out there. Old fashion is really the best way to go.
I made these same cookies with my mom as a kid so I knew they would be yummy.


Traditional Sugar Cookies:
3/4 cup shortening (part butter or margarine for taste)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 Tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 lemon extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tsp Baking powder
1 Tsp salt
Mix thoroughly shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt. Cover: chill at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out dough 1/8 inch think on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
Bake 6-8 minutes or until light brown.
Makes about 4 dozen 3 inch cookies



1 comment:

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Looks yummy, I should do some baking!